Saturday, May 23, 2009

Grilled Peaches

This is a great simple dessert for a cookout. Grilling really brings out the taste of the peaches, and I topped it with a rare scoop of vanilla ice cream. I use Haagen-Dazs vanilla icecream. It's not organic, but it is the only icecream I have found that does not contain questionable ingredients. It only contains cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla extract. No fake chemical flavoring, gums, soy lecithin, and most importantly no carrageenan. Carrageenan is extracted from seaweed using chemicals, then added as a cheap thickener to many dairy products. Studies have linked it to inflammatory bowel disease, gastro-intestinal ulcers and gastro-intestinal cancer. If my daughter or I eat anything with carrageenan in it we get terrible stomacheaches, so we avoid it.
Grilled Peaches
6 peaches, halved, pits removed
2-3 T. honey
pinch cinnamon
ice cream if desired
Place peaches cut side down on hot grill 2-3 min. to get grill marks, then place on heavy foil. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon, seal up foil into a large packet, grill 8-10 min. on med. heat. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired, spoon peach juices over top. Serves 6.

Em May 23, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Hi Janet! I found your blog on No Meat Athlete and your recipes look fantastic. I'm over at www.unrefinedathlete.com. Come and check me out. I can't wait to try those peaches this summer. YUM!

Cookin' Canuck May 23, 2009 at 11:42 AM

These sound really tasty. I love how grilling brings out the natural sweetness of the peaches. A nice sprinkle of nutmeg or cardamom would be lovely, too.

thequeenmommy May 23, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Wow - they look scrumptious. Simple, quick, and one more reason to enjoy grilling! Thanks for the info on ice cream ingredients, too! Especially since summer's around the corner.

Debbie

Heavenly Housewife May 23, 2009 at 1:44 PM

This looks like a great summer desert! Oh, and congrats on the number 1 foodbuzz spot. It was a beautiful salad.

mamasweeds May 24, 2009 at 3:24 PM

I didn't know that (or anything) about carrageenan, thanks for that tid bit!

I don't own a grill, but I might try to find a way to replicate it on the stove or oven. Looks great!

Morta Di Fame May 28, 2009 at 1:11 PM

YES! This is awesome. They look like scallops! I will try once we get a grill...

Anonymous,  February 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I agree about the ice cream their coffee only has cream, sugar and coffee