Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Blueberry Lemon Poppyseed Cake

The Ina Garten lemon yogurt cake is very popular right now and I have seen various versions of it all over the web. The original can be found here:
It looked so yummy that I had to try it even though it's full of sugar. As usual, I can't stick to a recipe, I always have to change things-even when I'm using my own recipes! So here is my version. I did do the glaze as directed, and it was quite runny, so I would use less lemon juice next time. This was very moist and delicious and disappeared fast.

Blueberry Lemon Poppyseed Cake
zest of 2 lemons
1/2 c. coconut oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. poppy seeds
Then stir in:
1/2 pint blueberries
Pour into greased bundt pan, bake about 50 min. till toothpick comes out clean.
Meanwhile, in a small pan cook:
1/3 c. fresh lemon juice
1/3 c. sugar
till sugar dissolves and liquid is clear, set aside.
When cake is done, cool in pan 10 min., turn out onto serving plate. While still warm pour lemon sugar mixture over it and let it soak in.
For glaze combine:
1 c. confectioners sugar
2 T. lemon juice( I would try 1 1/2 next time)
Drizzle glaze over cooled cake.

5 Star Foodie June 17, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Blueberry lemon poppyseed cakes looks gorgeous! Love the glaze!

Cookin' Canuck June 17, 2009 at 10:34 AM

This looks delicious! It would be perfect with a cup of tea.

mardi June 17, 2009 at 12:24 PM

that looks great! I was JUST thinking it would be great to serve with tea but Cookin' Canuk beat me to it!

Butterfly June 17, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Gosh, this looks good...thanks 4 sharing this recipe!!!

Heavenly Housewife June 18, 2009 at 9:40 AM

This looks wonderful. I could just dive into it right now, I am in need of comfort food!

Tatiana June 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Looks great! Have you ever tried substituting the eggs for ground flaxseed? It makes it much healthier, it has lots of omega-3's and fiber.
www.tatianacochran.com

the twins June 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM

that looks great, i'll definitely have to try it! thanks for the recipe.

Cheryl June 22, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I can't wait to try this! (And thanks for visiting crankycakes and the nice comments too. We've got a lot of mama-middleground between us!)