Saturday, June 6, 2009

Vegan Blueberry Banana Muffins

I came up with this vegan recipe a few years ago when I was helping my son to lose weight, as an occasional treat. I helped him to lose 80 pounds and he's kept it off for over 2 years now. These are much better than any store bought snacks. Those 100 calorie packs they sell annoy me-they are just 100 calories of nutrient deficient crap. A snack can have some nutritious ingredients and still taste yummy. These muffins have only 128 calories each if you make 16 and they are full of antioxidants, omega 3, potassium, b vitamins and fiber. Extras can be frozen for up to a month.

Vegan Blueberry Banana Muffins

Preheat oven to 375. Combine:
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/8 c. ground flaxseed
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
3/4 c. raw turbinado sugar
Then mix in:
4 very ripe mashed bananas
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
2 T. coconut oil
1/2 pint blueberries
Pour into greased cupcake or muffin pan. (Should fill 16-18 holes depending on size of your pan)
Sprinkle with this topping:
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 T. ground flaxseed
1 T. wheat germ
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Bake 15-20 min. till toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

irawvegan June 6, 2009 at 12:43 PM

These look so good & healthy! Thank you for posting the recipe.

hungrylikethewolf June 6, 2009 at 7:39 PM

yum, i love muffins, but they're usually pretty unhealthy, so i try not to eat them that often. these look delicious, thanks for the recipe!

NoMeatAthlete June 6, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Yum, I love a nice REAL blueberry muffin. The ones in Starbucks scare me.

80 pounds is amazing, nice job with your son!

janet June 7, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Thanks so much. He is a cancer survivor and is mentally impaired, so it was a tough road for him. It was a big achievement and he's very proud of himself.

Tatiana June 10, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Wow, this uses lots of ripe bananas! I am bookmarking it.

Awesome Vegan Girl

Mama Mel June 23, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Yum! I'll have to try these sometime! We are big muffin fans over here! :)