Friday, August 14, 2009

Zucchini Chips and Heirloom Tomato Salsa

My dehydrator gets a workout this time of year with all of the fresh produce. Zucchini chips are simple to make. They are fun, raw, and healthy. They travel well and are great for lunches. Serve them with hummus, salsa or any other dip you enjoy.

Zucchini Chips
Wash, dry and slice zucchini into 3/8" slices. Dehydrate on 110 or in oven on lowest setting with door ajar until crisp. Store in an airtight container.

My salsa is chunky, not overly hot, and it is cilantro-free. I think cilantro is vile and you'll never see a recipe here containing it. I used heirloom tomatoes from my mom's garden since mine are still not ripening. I especially love the yellow tomatoes!

Heirloom Tomato Salsa
Combine:
1/4 of a green pepper, diced
1/2 of a red onion, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
3 heirloom tomatoes, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
juice of 1 key lime
1/2 T. olive oil
sea salt and pepper to taste
Chill at least 2 hrs. to let flavors mingle.

tastyeatsathome August 14, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Love these zucchini chips! I need to get a dehydrator myself, so I can make such a healthy snack!

Sonya August 14, 2009 at 2:37 PM

This looks delicious! LOL at cilantro being vile. I happen to LOVE it, and sprinkle it on everything. My husband, on the other hand, picks every last morsel out of his food in disgust.

Cookin' Canuck August 14, 2009 at 4:37 PM

What a great way to use zucchini!

iRaw August 14, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Yum, these look good! Do you make kale chips? Those are my favorite crunchy dehydrator snack.

janet August 15, 2009 at 1:54 PM

iRaw, I do make kale chips as well as collard, beet green and swiss chard and they are my favorite crunchy snack too!

Vicki August 17, 2009 at 12:22 PM

What a great idea - those chips look delicious.

In our fridge we have two jars of salsa - one for the 'mm! cilantro' group and one for the 'ickgetitaway!' group.

NW Nature Nut September 8, 2009 at 10:16 PM

I have been making zucchini chips and plan to post about them soon. I have been blending a tomato, garlic, and salt and dipping my zucchini in that mix before drying and they are wonderful! Enjoy the bounty!

janet September 9, 2009 at 10:07 AM

I love your idea for flavored zucchini chips, I look forward to reading your post.