Friday, August 28, 2009

Zucchini Pancakes with Heirloom Tomatoes

I've been using some of my quick vegetarian recipes this week because it has been a busy one around my house. We had to go to two schools to pick up schedules for my son and daughter. The other daughter is at marching band camp this week, so we'll go to the third school and get hers next week. And my other son started his fall classes at the college this week. Four kids at four different schools!

Last night we had some fun and went to see the symphony at the last summer concert for the year. It was very relaxing and enjoyable. Three of the four kids enjoy the symphony and I think it's because I tried to expose them to lots of different music growing up. If you don't expose them to it while they are young, they never get the chance to appreciate it . I'm really glad that my kids enjoy such a variety of music.

Summer is winding down, but you'd never know it from the amount of zucchini still showing up at the farmers' market. These zucchini pancakes are great for breakfast, but work equally well for a quick dinner. They are delicious topped with diced, seasoned, heirloom tomatoes, and they are great topped with salsa too.

Zucchini Pancakes
For tomato topping:
In a small bowl mix:
3-4 diced heirloom tomatoes
small handful of various cherry tomatoes, cut in half
sea salt , pepper, basil to taste.
Set aside and let these juice up while making pancakes.

For Pancakes:
In large bowl combine:
2 c. shredded zucchini
1/3 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 eggs
1 T. milk
1/4 c. parmesian cheese
Mix. Cook in skillet or on griddle like regular pancakes, makes about 6 and serves 2. Recipe doubles well.

Peggy August 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM

sounds delicious! definitely have to try this soon!

Matt (No Meat Athlete) August 28, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Mmm sounds tasty. Can't find enough ways to get rid of the zucchini this time of year, and we have heirloom tomatoes too! Perfect. I've never tried zucchini pancakes, but zucchini bread is good, so why not?

iRaw August 28, 2009 at 10:02 PM

I love zucchini pancakes. Yours look delicious!

CheapAppetite August 29, 2009 at 2:40 AM

Looks very nice and healthy. Much better than top with the syrup:)

sizzlechef August 29, 2009 at 6:39 AM

Tasty and Healthy ! Thank you for sharing. Cheers !

Ruth August 29, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Sounds so delicous I just had to save the recipe!

Mother Rimmy August 29, 2009 at 11:58 PM

I have a ton of zucchini in the garden. This looks like a great way to use it up!

Vicki Hvid August 30, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Mmm - I've seen a sweet version but with tomatoes these would be perfect for a weekend lunch.

And good on ya for taking your kids to hear everything. Mom was a fan of Stravinsky, and I'd hide under the kitchen table when she played the Firebird Suite because the Infernal Dance was scary. Many years later I was playing the bassoon part for it.

janet August 31, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Vicki, Infernal Dance is such an intense, dramatic piece, I can see why it would be scary to a child! It is fabulous that you ended up playing bassoon for it!
One of my daughters plays the saxophone and keyboard, and the other plays the violin. I played acoustic guitar when I was young, but didn't stick to it- I wasn't that good. So I have great appreciation for the talents of others!

Kokopelli's Kitchen September 24, 2009 at 2:50 PM

The recipe sounds LUSCIOUS but............that picture has my mouth watering!