Friday, September 25, 2009

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Acorn squash is now appearing at the farmers' market. It is one of the best things about fall and this recipe is my favorite fall dish. My dogs even love the goodness of squash, when I cut it in half they come running to get some of the pulp and seeds. Squash is loaded with vitamins A and C, and the minerals potassium and manganese.

Growing up I never liked squash, but the only way it was served in our house was covered with brown sugar, so it was sickeningly sweet. It wasn't until I became an adult and learned that it could be prepared as a more savory dish that I realized what I was missing out on. Squash and sage are a match made in heaven!

Stuffed Acorn Squash

2 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed
1 red pepper, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 c. cooked brown rice
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. dried sage
freshly ground black pepper
4 T. shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Place squash cut side down on oiled baking sheet and bake 40 min. Meanwhile, saute red pepper, onion and garlic in 1 T. olive oil about 10 min. till tender. Stir in rice, salt, sage and pepper. When squash is done, flip so the cut side is up and stuff with rice. Sprinkle about 1 T. of cheddar cheese on each and bake 5-10 min. longer till cheese melts. Serves 4.

Debbie September 25, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Mmmmmmmmmm - Squash! We grew up in a house with "sweet" squash, too - but I liked it. =) However, I really enjoy the savory versions, too, and Fall is my favorite season - even for eating! The recipe looks DELISH! This is like comfort food!

The Duo Dishes September 25, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Love the cheese and sage in there. Really nice. The savory versions of squash are all we've ever had, so this sounds perfect.

iRaw September 26, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Wow, your squash looks delicious!

Lori September 27, 2009 at 10:46 AM

I hear ya on the squash. In the past couple years I've been learning how to enjoy it in savory recipes and it is amazing! This recipe sounds so great. I'm always seeing stuffed acron squash with sausage so I love this meatless twist with the hearty brown rice. Yum!

lululu September 27, 2009 at 1:54 PM

i hv so much fresh sage in our backyard.
i would definitely try this recipe with my fresh sage.
maybe i should put a little bit less though, right?

janet September 28, 2009 at 10:47 AM

lululu, dried herbs are stronger than fresh, so you will want to use at least double the amount if using fresh.