Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Baba Ghanoush

There seem to be only eggplant lovers and eggplant haters, no middle ground. Baba ghanoush can change that. Luxuriously creamy, it tastes like hummus. The eggplant flavor is very muted. One of my daughters dislikes the texture of hummus, but she likes baba ghanoush. So even if you dislike the flavor of eggplant or the texture of hummus, this may be for you.

Baba ghanoush is a great dip for raw veggies and whole wheat pita triangles. It can also be used like a condiment on veggie sandwiches and grilled vegetables.

It's a great way to get more raw garlic in your diet. Raw garlic may well be nature's most potent "wonder drug". It helps protect against numerous cancers, atherosclerosis, cardiovascular problems, blood clots, and strokes. It helps fight colds and flu and stimulates the immune system. To get the most benefits from garlic, crush it and let it sit for about 10 min. before using, and eat it raw.

When picking eggplant I normally choose small ones, large ones tend to be seedy and more bitter. Baba ghanoush is a good way to use up any oversized eggplant you have. Eggplant is a good source of fiber, potassium, manganese and antioxidants. I enjoy this dip warm, but it's also good cold and keeps in the fridge about 3 days.

Baba Ghanoush Recipe

1 large eggplant
juice of 1 lemon
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 T. tahini
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375. Cut eggplant in half lengthwise, place on baking sheet brush cut sides with a tiny bit of olive oil to keep it from drying out, bake 20 min. ( Don't overbake) While eggplant is baking, crush garlic and let it sit. When eggplant is done, remove skin, place eggplant in food processor along with rest of ingredients and puree till smooth and creamy.

Noelle October 28, 2009 at 11:03 AM

This is one of my favorite dishes!

Jackie October 28, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I love this. My fiance is Lebanese, and the real way they do it is to put the cooked eggplant through a foley food mill so there are no seeds left in the end product. It's harder, but WORTH it. No restaurant or commercial company does this and that is the trick to make it authentic. Shhhh don't tell!

Jackie

Vegan Epicurean October 28, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I love anything eggplant, and am married to an eggplant avoider (prior eggplant hater) so I enjoyed the lead in to the recipe.

Sometimes I add eggplant to my hummus which makes us both happy.

Stephanie October 28, 2009 at 2:39 PM

I had no idea this was so easy to make! I've been wanting to make some eggplant, I'll have to give this a shot! =)

figtree October 28, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I am making this TONIGHT!!! Thanks

Venus Doom October 28, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I am going to try this. I can eat eggplant (or aubergine as we call it here) if it is in a chili or something where it is disguised. Lol. Never liked it on its own. So will give this a go and see how it fares.

comfrey cottages October 29, 2009 at 8:08 AM

even my little granddaughter loves it! i used to pack it in her lunchbox last year, when i was watching her before school, and her teachers asked her what it was. so cute to hear her say baba nush! lol tried to comment here earlier this week and couldn't get a comment posted on your site. glad to see whatever glitch it was is gone:) thanks for sharing

Sonya October 29, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Gorgeous! I love that the recipe is relatively low fat, too. Yummy.

janet October 29, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Thanks for all the kind comments! When I changed the blog template, the comments stopped working until I fixed some of the code. I'm glad it's working correctly now.

Kateri October 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM

This sounds so yummy. I'm adding eggplant to my shopping list for tomorrow.

5 Star Foodie October 29, 2009 at 9:38 PM

I'm a little bit in a middle actually when it comes to eggplant - I don't like certain preparations and love others. Eggplant caviar and Baba Ghanoush are the specialties that I really love! Your recipe for baba ghanoush sounds great!

VeganGuy November 2, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I didn't realize how easy this is!

duodishes.com November 3, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Next to hummus, baba ghanuosh is another fave dip.