Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Baked Falafel with Tzatziki Sauce

Falafels are a quick, inexpensive, but satisfying meal. You have to remember to soak the garbanzo beans overnight, but there are no long cooking times involved; they are ground up in the food processor raw. They are traditionally fried, but since I usually try to avoid frying I decided to see if I could healthy them up by baking instead. The verdict? We have a winner. I now have another quick, easy dish in my repertoire and my daughter has a new favorite meal.

I think I do too! I served this with steamed asparagus. These disappeared quickly, so for my large family I will  double the recipe next time.

Baked Falafel

2 c. dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight, and drained
1 small red onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. dried parsley
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. baking powder
2 T. white whole wheat flour

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients in food processor and pulse till combined. Do not puree till smooth; mixture should be somewhat grainy. Shape into 1 1/2" balls (makes about 18), place on baking sheet coated with 2 T. olive oil. Bake 10 min., turn and bake 10 min. more.  I served them on whole wheat pita bread with lettuce, tomato and tzatziki sauce.

Tzatziki Sauce

1 medium cucumber, peeled and most seeds removed
juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, minced
4 T. plain yogurt

Combine in blender or food processor and puree till you have a smooth sauce. Drizzle over falafel.  Leftover sauce is good on salad too.

Falafels on Foodista

Venus November 10, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Ohh nice. I have added this to my print out of recipes to try sometime.

VeganGuy November 10, 2009 at 11:47 AM

baked falafal? great idea!

Vegan Epicurean November 10, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Jant,

You are reading my mind. Falafel was on my list to make this week too.

Your version looks really good! :)

Laura November 10, 2009 at 12:34 PM

I love that you baked the falafel, I try to stay away from fried food as well. I have to try those, thanks :)

comfrey cottages November 10, 2009 at 12:46 PM

cool! your sauce if like mine, but i have never tried the red pepper flakes ,cumin or baking powder in mine before janet. i will give that a try next time:) thank you for sharing
i like to take a big bunch of dried chickpeas at one time and cook them till just about done in the crockpot (several hours), then drain and keep in a big bag in freezer. they are just one of my fav things to throw into almost anything:)

janet November 10, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Thanks for all the comments!

Alicia, I look forward to seeing your take on falafel!

Comfrey, I often keep garbanzos in the freezer too, we eat alot of hummus and they are great in soups too.

Sonya November 10, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Oh, gosh - I love different perspectives on the falafel. This one is esp. yummy! Thanks, Janet!

5 Star Foodie November 10, 2009 at 9:37 PM

A baked falafel is a great idea, sounds so delicious with tzatziki!

Brigid November 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I may have to try this for lunches next week. I've been wanting to try baking falafel, so thanks for sharing!