Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Quinoa Stuffed Squash

Squash is arguably the best thing about fall. They are pretty, delicious and loaded with nutrition. For this recipe I used sweet dumpling squash, but you can use any kind you have on hand. Stuffed squash makes a lovely presentation and makes an everyday meal feel special.
Sweet dumpling is one of my favorites, because it's just the right size for one person. No one in my family likes squash as much as I do, so I occasionally make sweet dumpling squash just for me. Then I can enjoy squash more often than I force it on serve it to the rest of the family. For a tasty, simple side dish I sprinkle sweet dumpling squash with sage, garlic, sea salt and pepper and bake cut side down on an oiled baking sheet along side whatever else I happen to be cooking.

Quinoa stuffed squash is heartier, making a filling main dish. Somewhat sweet, it's a nice departure from my all-time favorite squash recipe, savory Stuffed Acorn Squash.

This satisfying meal makes the house smell so good, and is fast, it can be ready in about 35 minutes.

Quinoa Stuffed Squash

2 sweet dumpling squash
1/2 c. quinoa, well rinsed
1 c. veggie broth
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 c. coarsly chopped raw walnuts
1/4 c. dried cranberries
dried sage

Preheat oven to 375. Cut squash in half, scoop out pulp and seeds, sprinkle with dried sage. Place cut side down on oiled baking sheet and bake 30 min. till tender when pierced with a fork. Meanwhile, place quinoa, veggie broth, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, walnuts and cranberries in rice cooker and cook. If you don't have a rice cooker, you can put the ingredients into a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low, covered for 15-20 min. When done, stuff into cooked squash and enjoy. Serve with a big green salad.

Vegan Epicurean November 4, 2009 at 10:13 AM

I love squash too, and luckily so does my hubby.

We don't eat enough quinoa. Thanks for reminding me to use it more often.

Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite November 4, 2009 at 10:30 AM

I love this! Check out my meatless recipe for a similar dish - think you will like it!

janet November 4, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Alicia, my hubby doesn't like squash, but fortunately he likes all the other orange foods-carrots, sweet potatoes, peppers, cantaloupe.
I love quinoa and also forget to use it sometimes.

janet November 4, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Mardi, thanks for sharing the risotto recipe.

tastyeatsathome November 4, 2009 at 10:46 AM

I love squash, more than anyone else in my family. This sounds like a lovely dish! I need to use quinoa more often - it's not like it's hard to prepare!

Tasha November 4, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Our house loves squash, and I haven't tried quinoa yet, but I just bought a bag of red quinoa...don't know if there is a taste difference betweent the two, but I'm going to make this today and see...I have a nice acorn squash to go with it! Thanks for sharing!

comfrey cottages November 4, 2009 at 1:13 PM

thanks for the reminder to get more quinoa! gosh, i have been out for awhile and keep forgetting to put it on my grocery list. rock on to the cranberries! and the walnuts too! 2 of my favs with squash:)

blessedmama November 4, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Hi, Janet,

Thanks for your comment on my blog, too. FYI, I've added you to my blog food list. Looking forward to reading a lot more of your posts!

figtree November 4, 2009 at 9:06 PM

I never would have thought of stuffing squash with quinoa!Looks delicious. I love trying all the different types of squash in the fall.

Stacy November 5, 2009 at 2:01 AM

This just screams Fall. I love this and can't wait to try it!

Matt (No Meat Athlete) November 5, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Yum! I've been trying some stuffed squash stuff recently. The filling is always delicious, but I'm a salt-lover, so I always need to add salt to the squash. I think I'm going to make butternut squash lasagna today!

Your blog looks great these days, by the way!

5 Star Foodie November 5, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Great idea to have a quinoa filling, sounds healthy and delicious!

janet November 5, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Wow, thanks for all the nice comments!!

HealthyRainbow.net November 6, 2009 at 7:19 AM

We don't have quinoa here and I've never tasted them.
But I'm sure that tastes that quinoa stuffed squash is really really good :D
Ann

Fayinagirl (means Free One) November 9, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Yum!!! This would be a great Thanksgiving dish! Though, I think I could eat it every day. =)