Friday, November 13, 2009

Spinach Mushroom Soup

This is my least favorite time of year. I do not like getting up when it's dark and cold, and I really do not like scraping the frost off my car windows to take the kids to school. So I wanted to make something warm and soothing. This creamy soup made my taste buds happy.

This is a  recipe I make once or twice a year. I adapted it from an old Pillsbury recipe that I've had forever, and it would be easy to veganize. If I had my grandmother's mushrooming skills, I would gather morels to use in spring. Since I don't want to poison my family, I use store-bought mushrooms. I know you can purchase morels, but they are prohibitively expensive.

Shitake mushrooms contain lentinan, which revs up the immune system. All mushrooms, including the common button mushrooms have been shown to have anti-cancer properties. And we all know what a powerhouse spinach is. The best part is they taste great together!

Spinach Mushroom Soup

4 c. sliced mushrooms of your choice ( I like to use a mix of portabello, shitake and button)
2 carrots, grated
1 small red onion, diced
2 c. vegetable broth
8 oz. baby spinach
1 c. skim milk
1/8 c. flour
4 oz. reduced fat swiss cheese
4 oz. fat-free cream cheese
sea salt and pepper to taste

Saute mushrooms, carrots and onions in 1 T. olive oil and 2 T.vegetable broth for 2 min., then lower heat, cover and sweat 10 min. till tender. Then add the remaining broth and the spinach. Simmer 5 min.   Mix milk and flour till smooth, add to soup and cook and stir till thickened. Add cheeses, stir till melted. Serves 4.

Vegan Epicurean November 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Mushroom soup does sound good today. We are getting the tail end of hurricane Ida at our house so you can imagine the weather. Now I wish I didn't have leftovers in the frig because mushroom soup is very tempting at the moment.

janet November 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Wow, I hope you don't get any flooding or wind damage.

Vegan Epicurean November 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM

We should be safe from flood damage since we live near the high point of the city about 4 miles north of the harbor. Wind damage is possible but this old house is over 100 years old and has seen the tail end of many hurricanes so we should be fine. But I greatly appreciate the concern.

5 Star Foodie November 13, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Sounds like a yummy soup - perfect for today's rainy weather here!

Kateri November 14, 2009 at 9:41 AM

This sounds so good. It is recipes like this that make me wish I didn't live 30 miles from the nearest decent grocery store! Now I really want mushroom spinach soup. I have plenty of wild mushrooms left from the harvest I did last week. But I don't have any spinach and I'm not driving to town to get it. I guess I will have to go shopping on my way home from work on Monday.

Claudia November 14, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I've always wanted to go mushroom hunting - but also am afriad of killing my family. This looks like such a November soup - comforting, a but of sweetness to overcome the glum days. I had my kids in November and March - I always said it was to brighten those gloomy months up!