Monday, November 16, 2009

What's in Your Fridge?

I have refrigerator envy. I found this great post when I was reading Raising Seven Vegans blog the other day showing what is inside her fridge. It then linked to Green and Crunchy blog, who started this game, and showed what's in her fridge. It is the fridge of my dreams, so neat and organized with everything labeled, and it comes equipped with the most adorable little label maker ever! I am easily amused and it's great fun for me to see in others' fridges. I can't resist browsing in others' carts when grocery shopping, and always thought I was the only cart voyeur. It's always fun to come across someone else who's cart is as full of produce as mine.
I only photographed the fridge in my kitchen, I have another in the basement which holds all the apples, oranges, grapefruit, another cabbage, and whatever else I can't fit in the main fridge, which includes meat for the carnivorous hubby, and some cheese. Nuts I store in the freezer, and leave a few small jars on the counter which I refill as needed.

On the top shelf there is wheat germ, feta cheese, sour cream, brown miso, white miso, organic veggie broth, homemade dill pickles, organic milk, homemade yogurt, a package of hubby's nitrate free turkey lunchmeat, and a stalk of brussels sprouts.

On the middle shelf there are leftover falafels, a carton of baby spinach, a bowl of cranberry applesauce which I will post the recipe for this week, large bowl of lentil sloppy joes, local free range organic eggs, and a dish of leftover mashed sweet potato. The lunchmeat drawer contains 3 pints of blueberries, a lemon, 3 pomeganites, and some whole grain tortillas.

The bottom shelf holds containers of homemade dogfood, (yes I cook for my dogs, I don't believe any living thing was meant to live on commercial processed food- but that's a post for another day),  a box of clementines, organic baby romaine salad, and a dish of sliced green peppers.

The veggie drawer on the left contains celery, carrots, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, snow peas, a tomato, some ginger root, and lemons.
The drawer on the right contains 2 more cartons of baby greens, some leaf lettuces, a bag of cranberries and 3 lbs. of asparagus.

I'd love to see what's in your fridge too, leave a comment if you want to play along.

Sonya November 16, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Beautiful fridge! I will post a picture of mine later this week - it needs a bit of re-organizing.

Pom season is here! Sooo yummy. My little one loves helping me de-seed them.

Thanks for sharing, Janet!

janet November 16, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Poms are so yummy, aren't they?

I need to go clean up the basement fridge now!

Brigid November 16, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Thanks for sharing! We're shopping tonight. I may get brave and post our fridge, though itisn't very organized or full (since there's only two of us).

janet November 16, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Brigid, go ahead and show it! Ours is full because there are six of us, and 4 teens eat alot!!

Vegan Epicurean November 16, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I will need to organize my frig before I can play along. At the moment it has produce jammed in every corner and you can't see much of anything. Great idea though. If I get time this week I will rearrange the my frig and play along.

Raising Seven Vegans November 16, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Thanks for the link. Your fridge makes me hungry!

Venus November 16, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I will be doing this once Ive been shopping. At the mo my fridge is a bit bare! Poor neglected thing. Mine is no where near as organised as yours though!

janet November 16, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Alicia, I bet your fridge is extremely colorful, I would love to see it!

Venus, Mine has to be organized with this many people or food just gets wasted.

I am glad so many of you want to play along, I look forward to seeing the pics!

Fayinagirl (means Free One) November 16, 2009 at 3:47 PM

What fun! I'll play along. Look for my refrigerator post to show up sometime this weekend...after I do the grocery shopping. ;-)

Sheri (Green and Crunchy) November 16, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Hey Janet, thanks for the link and thanks for playing along with my little fridge game! I've had a peek into several people's fridges lately and its been fun :)

Your fridge is bursting with gorgeous produce! Yummers. I didn't realize you have 4 teens but that explains the full fridge :)

Am glad to hear you also peek into grocery carts!

Sheri (Green & Crunchy)

janet November 17, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Fayina, I look forward to seeing yours!

Sheri, you're welcome, I love your blog! Yes it's nice to know when you're not the only one with a peeking habit!

Lisa Curcio November 17, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Janet, I am envious of your fridge! So clean and full of such yummy foods. Are the brussel's sprouts from your garden? I planted some this year, but the rabbits got to them.

I have an award for you on my blog.

janet November 17, 2009 at 2:45 PM

No, I tried but had no luck growing brussels sprouts, so they are from Trader Joe's.
Thanks for the award Lisa, you are very sweet!