Monday, December 14, 2009

Five Minute Gazpacho Soup Recipe

Lookie what I got!! Christmas came early at my house. I am so excited to say that I am now the proud owner of one of these:

Yessirree, my very own Vita-mix. Last weekend the demonstrator was at Costco. The hubby happened to be shopping with me and knowing that I've wanted one for quite some time, and that the demonstrator wasn't going to be back until next year, he told me to go ahead and get it. Merry Christmas to me!!

I am in love. Now I can add things to my smoothies that my old blender couldn't handle like whole apples, lemon slices, carrots, celery, etc. and they are ultrasmoooooth. I've never been interested in juicing. With juicing, the pulp which contains nutrients and fiber gets discarded. I prefer smoothies because they use the whole food, retaining the nutrients and fiber. And now I can add anything I like to my smoothies!

I love that this machine makes hot soup from whole raw vegetables in about five minutes. I am always looking for ways to increase our fruit and veggie intake, and this will certainly help. I made a couple of quick raw veggie soups this weekend.

I was out all day finishing up the Christmas shopping. (Boy does it feel good to be done. I am not a shopper and it is definitely not fun for me.) I got home just before the kids and so had nothing cooked. It is so amazing to be able to throw a bunch of raw veggies in the Vita-mix and have a delicious creamy hot soup in about 5 minutes. Did I mention that I am in love with my Vita-mix?

I will be experimenting with recipes and posting them as I get time. I feel like a kid with a new toy!

Meanwhile, here is the recipe for the gazpacho soup I made. The avocado made it rich and creamy.

Vita-mix Five Minute Gazpacho Soup

3 tomatoes
1 red bell pepper, seeded
1 cucumber (peeled if it is waxed)
1/2 of a small onion
1 clove garlic, minced and set aside for 10 min.
juice of 1 small lemon
1 avocado, remove skin and pit
1/2 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. pepper

Place all ingredients in Vita-mix and let blend 5 min. till steamy.

Vegan Epicurean December 15, 2009 at 12:26 PM

I love my Vitamix too! It gets used everyday, multiple times a day in my kitchen. I don't think I could cook without it now.

I add avocado to my gazpacho too! My hubby isn't thrilled by the texture of avocado so that is how I get him to eat avocado without complaint.

We bought our Vitamix at Costco too BTW.

talk to you later,

janet December 15, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Alicia, my daughters don't really like avocado unless it is guacamole, but they ate it in the soup too. I am so excited that I can now try your brazil nut butter!

Vegan Epicurean December 15, 2009 at 1:05 PM

And ... I thought my hubby was the only picky eater. It is amazing what we will do to get healthy food into the family.

I can't wait to see what you do with your Vitamix. Once I got mine I found myself doing everything in it. I would be completely lost if my Vitamix broke. The hubby already knows if it ever breaks we need to buy a replacement immediately.

I posted a curried carrot soup not long ago that I made mostly in the Vitamix that the hubby loved. You might want to take a look at that recipe.

talk to you later,

blessedmama December 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Okay, you too. I want a VitaMix, too! I saw the guy at Costco, but it's still out of our budget until next year. Well, I can still eat your VitaMix meals vicariously. Also, I believe I have the pickiest-eater husband. Someday, we should do a blog comparison of picky husbands. Just to start, on PB&J sandwiches, mine has to be creamy peanut butter and orange-colored jam (any flavor) spread thinly. Have a blessed week! (I also am not a fan of shopping, except for groceries, Mama.) :)

janet December 15, 2009 at 3:24 PM

blessedmama, I know how you feel, I have wanted a vitamix for a couple years before we could afford one. I love your idea of the picky husband comparison ;)Sometimes they are just too funny!

Fayinagirl (means Free One) December 15, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Merry Christmas to you indeed! Much happiness! =)

Andrea December 15, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Maybe I should start looking for Vitamix demos to take my husband to. :) I want to be able to make instant soup. And smoothies, etc. etc.

Rebecca December 16, 2009 at 1:07 PM

oh yes...a vitamix is where it's at!!!! enjoy:)

Oraphan December 18, 2009 at 2:05 AM

Oh, Janet! That sounds so wonderful, I'm so happy for you and thanks for such a fantastic recipe, I can't wait to give it a try!

Healthy and Homemade December 18, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I love mine! You're gonna have way too much fun!! =D

(no)more_cheese_please December 21, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I just got my Vitamix a few weeks ago I can't believe I lived so long without one!! Enjoy it.