Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Avocado and Red Pepper Soup

This week has been very busy at my house, so I have been cooking the quickest things possible. Fortunately, vegan food is very fast! While not necessary for this recipe,  using my new vitamix blender also speeds things up. So here is a fast, simple soup that is satisfyingly rich and creamy.

You can easily make this without a vitamix, just puree everything in your blender, then heat in the microwave or on your stovetop. I love the somewhat sweet flavor of red pepper, so I only put a pinch of cayenne pepper in this. Also, I had rice milk that needed using up, but feel free to just use water instead. I like my soup very thick, add more water if you like it thinner.  Adjust the seasonings to your own heat level.

Avocado and Red Pepper Soup

1 red pepper, seeded
1 avocado, peeled, pit removed
1 c. water
1 c. rice milk
1 tsp. dried parsley
pinch cayenne pepper

If using vitamix, place all ingredients in and process 4-5 min. till hot.

Fayinagirl (means Free One) January 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM

What a great quick meal. We could do this with coconut milk for the boys too. Bet that would put a little weight on them. ;-)

Claudia January 13, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I love this mixture - would do it all in a blender and heat.Delicious.

Vegan Epicurean January 13, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Sounds like you are really making use of the new Vitamix. I thought you would love it. Not a day goes by that I don't use mine at least once, and normally more. Your soup sounds great. I love combining sweet and spicy peppers.

Oraphan January 14, 2010 at 2:03 AM

Oh, Janet! I've just realized that I'm a huge fan of your quick and easy recipes now. Every time I visit your blog, I always find great recipes that make me want to try. Your avocado and red pepper soup looks and sounds fantastic!

iRaw January 14, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I love avocado soup - yours looks delicious!

Dolly January 14, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Ummmmmmm......that looks delicious, like a pea soup !
I've never had anything with avocado except guacamole'.

janet January 15, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Julie Lynn, coconut milk is a great idea!

Claudia, for being so simple it really was delicious.

Alicia,you were right, I just love my vitamix and I do use it everyday!

Oraphan, thankyou for the kind comment, you are very sweet!

Chris, thanks! I love avocados too, there is so much you can do with them, and they make soups very creamy.

Dolly, it does look like pea soup, I hadn't realized until you said that. I have a bunch of avocados on my counter, I think I'll make guacamole:)

Lori January 16, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Love this combination. I've not thought of avocado in a soup before other than maybe a Mexican tortilla soup. This sounds delicious!