Friday, January 15, 2010

Rainbow Lentil Soup

We all know it is crucial to get plenty of fruits and veggies in our diet. It is also important to ensure variety,  we need all of the different color groups to ensure that we don't miss out on any nutrients. This soup is a simple way to get a large variety of them in one meal.

It is also an easy, quick meal, done in about 30 min., great for a night when you think you don't have time to cook. Just put everything in a pot and let it simmer while you go on with your busy life. Come back in 25-30 min. and dinner's ready. Soup always reheats well, so leftovers are a bonus. I used french green lentils here, but any lentils would be good.

Rainbow Lentil Soup

1 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, diced
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
3 stalks celery , with leaves, chopped
handfull of green beans, cut in 1' lengths
1 zucchini, diced
handfull of shredded purple cabbage
14 oz. can diced tomatoes (I used home-canned)
1 c. french green lentils
2 bay leaves
2 T. balsamic vinegar
6 c. water

Place everything in large pot and simmer 25-30 min. till lentils are tender. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Fayinagirl (means Free One) January 15, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I love lentils. Your soup looks so good.

janet January 15, 2010 at 3:39 PM

thanks, Julie Lynn, I love lentils too!

Vegan Epicurean January 15, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I love lentil soup too. It is what I turn too when I need a quick soup. I don't normally add cabbage to my lentil soup. Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep that in mind the next time I am making vegetable lentil soup.

Claudia January 15, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Love the colors, the vegetables and I love my lentils! Delicious soup!

janet January 15, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Alicia, that's one of my favorite things about lentils-they're fast and no pre-soaking needed!I have a thing for purple cabbage too.

Claudia, I love the colors too! It's one of the things that makes fruits and veggies fun to eat.

Healthy and Homemade January 15, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Lentil soup sounds SO good right now! YUM! =)

Kateri January 15, 2010 at 10:03 PM

This looks and sounds yummy! I think I'm going to try making this as soon as the bean soup I made yesterday is gone. :)

Laura of Wildenblue Farm January 15, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Hi Janet, I never make Lentil Soup, so I must give this a try! I make something similar, minus the Cabbage (never thought to include that!), and in place of the Lentils, I use Edamame.
Jamet, I just want to thank you for all the recipes, inspiration and information you offer. I am a vegetarian, but I have a shameful sweettooth on occasion(especially for chocolate!) and I LOVE baking! I try each year to be more healthful, which is why I appreciate your blog! Just wanted to say thank you!!

janet January 16, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Kateri, I hope you enjoy this. I love bean soup too!

Laura, you are very sweet, thanks so much. I also have a sweet tooth, I adore dark chocolate!

~Amy Jo~ January 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Thanks for sharing this. I crave soup on cold days. And I LOVE easy meals. This is a win/win.

iRaw January 16, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Lentil soup is so good - yours looks delicious and so colorful! I'm going to sprout some lentils and make a raw version.

Sonya January 17, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Wow, this looks fabulous! Adding it to my list for next week.:-)

Oraphan January 18, 2010 at 2:56 AM

I'm a huge fan of lentil soup! Yours looks so wonderful and it sounds really delicious, I love that you made it quick and easy.

Sook January 24, 2010 at 3:10 AM

What a colorful and warm soup recipe. Thank you!