Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

While I am known to eat a variety of  "odd"  foods for breakfast including  brussels sprouts  and  salads,  my absolute favorite breakfast is oatmeal. We all know it is a superfood, loaded with fiber, manganese, magnesium, selenium and thiamin.  It's anticancer, helps regulate blood sugar, which is great for diabetics and those interested in weight-loss, and helps prevent heart disease.

Steel cut, old fashioned or quick are all healthy, whole foods. The only oats to avoid are the chemical filled little packets of instant oats.  Oats are a great palette to add a variety of healthy fruits, nuts and spices to, and your breakfast can be different each day.

Today I had some butternut puree left, so I decided to make oatmeal reminiscent of pumpkin pie. You could sub canned pumpkin if necessary. I grind a variety of raw nuts in my food processor and freeze them for use in oatmeal and other recipes. My kids would never eat a whole brazil nut, but they happily eat ground ones on their oatmeal ; )  One or two brazil nuts daily will meet your need for the anticancer selenium. Do not consume more than this because selenium can build up in your body and cause toxicity.  This will make 2 large servings or 3 regular ones.

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

3/4 c. butternut puree
2 c. water
1 3/4 c. old fashioned oats
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
pinch sea salt
1/4 c. agave
2 T. ground flaxseed
ground brazil nuts and pecans

Combine butternut puree and water in pan, bring to boil. Stir in oats, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and salt. Cook and stir 4-5 min. till oats are done, stir in agave and flaxseed. Sprinkle with nuts and serve.

Fayinagirl (means Free One) February 16, 2010 at 12:18 PM

It sounds heavenly! I think I'd put chia seeds in mine instead of flax (don't like the taste of flax seeds). Thank you for sharing another terrific recipe! xoxo

janet February 16, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Julie Lynn, chia seeds are a great idea, thanks!

Claudia February 16, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I love the spices. We are all oatmeal eaters here in the winter. Switch to smoothies about now - and then back and forth. I love the way you jazzed it up so its not "same old."

Rose February 16, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Yum this sounds delicious and healthy...what a great idea. I eat odd things for breakfast too, but this reminds me that I should crack out the oatmeal more often.

janet February 16, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Claudia, we do smoothies a lot too. Life is too short to eat the same thing all the time;)

Rose, I think the odd things we sometimes eat for breakfast make it fun:)But I sure do love oatmeal.

Morgan February 16, 2010 at 10:02 PM

I am going to try this recipe this week! I have tried a ton of different combos with oatmeal but haven't found that magical one yet. I will let you know what my girls think!

janet February 17, 2010 at 7:37 AM

Morgan, I hope they like it:) I think our all time favorite is just oatmeal with blueberries in it- nothing fancy, but it's so good!

5 Star Foodie February 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM

This sounds so yummy for breakfast or even dessert! I like the addition of nuts & flaxseed!

Lori February 17, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Oat eater here too. I love steel cut oats and this is a great combo. I've not experimented much with pumpkin in mine. It looks great!

Natashya KitchenPuppies February 23, 2010 at 3:26 PM

What a great idea! Any time I use pumpkin puree I always have some leftover - I never thought to put it in my oatmeal - and with the spices and nutty flax it would be delish.
I make steel cut oatmeal in the (small) slow cooker before bed with big chunks of apple. It is ready when we wake up on cold mornings.

janet February 24, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Natashya, I do the steel cut in the slow cooker sometimes too. It's so nice to wake up and a warm breakfast is ready!