Thursday, February 25, 2010

Raw Beet Salad with Raspberry Orange Vinaigrette

Colorful food is so much fun to eat, especially when it tastes this good. This salad is quick to make and bursting with flavor. Beets and citrus are a perfect match.

This salad always disappears quickly at family gatherings. I sometimes make a version of this using cooked, sliced beets. I have used canned to make this when pinched for time, but I try to avoid using canned goods to avoid BPA.  And since I try to eat a large portion of my food raw each day, I came up with this version. I prefer this, the crunch of the beets is very satisfying. I only had one large beet left in the house, and I didn't feel like driving around in the snow and ice to get more,  so this made enough salad for two. Feel free to double or triple it.

Raw Beet Salad with Raspberry Orange Vinaigrette

1 large beet, peeled and cut into matchsticks
2 clementines, peeled and sectioned
1 T. finely minced red onion
mixed greens
juice of 1 orange
1 T. raspberry balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. honey or agave

Combine beet, clementines and onion. Stir together orange juice, vinegar, olive oil, and honey or agave. Pour dressing over beets and toss gently. Serve on a bed of mixed greens.

Vegan Epicurean February 25, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I love beets and citrus too! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

You are right, we are on the same wave lenght this week. ;)

talk to you later,

Jackie @ Munching Madness February 25, 2010 at 10:15 AM

OOOOoooo... This sounds so delicious! I love a good salad AND beets. This is definately going on the "to try" list! Thanks!

janet February 25, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Alicia, one of my favorite things about this salad is that you get 3 of the rainbow colors in one dish. Plus I'm addicted to clementines;-)

Jackie, I hope you enjoy this, there are never any leftovers here when I make it!

Rose February 25, 2010 at 1:29 PM

What gorgeous colors...this looks great. I like citrus and beet combo too...thanks for the recipe.

janet February 26, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Rose, thanks, I just love eating colorful foods:)

blessedmama February 28, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Beautiful salad! I would not have thought to combine beets and citrus - thanks for the idea. It's interesting you point out BPA b/c our local news just had a story on it. I'll need to pay more attention to that.

Anonymous,  November 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM

This is a gorgeous and versatile salad; thanks for the idea! A mix of gold and red beets with sectioned red grapefruit in addition to the Clementines makes for a striking palette of colors.

janet December 1, 2010 at 7:45 AM

Anonymous, I like your idea of adding gold beets and grapefruit. Aside from being extremely eye-pleasing, it ups the nutrition. Thanks for sharing, I am going to try this as soon as I pick up a grapefruit!