Friday, February 19, 2010

Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad

I was reading a great post on Alicia's blog Vegan Epicurean  this morning. She has a lovely lemony brussels sprouts soup recipe and a link to an interesting article about the impact of certain raw veggies on cancer cells. We eat a lot of raw onions, garlic, kale, broccoli and brussels sprouts at our house and they are all strongly anti-cancer. Her post reminded me of  a simple salad I make using raw brussels sprouts. I'm posting it today since we can all use more ways to include these powerhouse veggies in our diets.
We love the taste and the health benefits of raw garlic. If you find the taste of raw garlic to be too much, reduce the amount or leave it out. I make the dressing first, which allows the allicin in the garlic to develop while I make the salad.

Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad

24 brussels sprouts, ends and outer leaves removed, sliced thinly
1 grated carrot
2 T. raw walnuts, chopped
juice and zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp. olive oil
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. freshly minced ginger
1 1/2 tsp. agave
freshly cracked black pepper

Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, ginger and agave. Set aside. Prepare sprouts and grate carrots, mix together. Place in 2 bowls, top with walnuts and lemon zest. Drizzle with a little lemon dressing and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Makes 2 salads.

Fayinagirl (means Free One) February 19, 2010 at 12:35 PM

That sounds really really good. I have some brussels sprouts that I was going to cook up for lunch. Now you've inspired me to prepare them raw. I'm off to share the recipe with Livy. She'll be so excited. =)

janet February 19, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I hope you like them, Julie Lynn!

Vegan Epicurean February 19, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Thanks for posting this. It sounds great. I can't wait to try it.

I posted the almond milk yogurt if you want to take a look.

Fayinagirl (means Free One) February 19, 2010 at 2:48 PM

We just finished eating this Brussels Sprouts salad. It is amazing!!! I'm putting this recipe someplace special. =)

Come on over to my blog. There's a little something for you there.

Claudia February 19, 2010 at 2:55 PM

This is just delicious - I love anything that starts with Brussels Sprouts!

Sook February 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

What a healthy and delicious way to enjoy brussels sprouts!

Mother Rimmy February 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM

We just recently learned to appreciate brussells sprouts in our house, and we love them. I can't wait to try this recipe. Fresh and delicious!

iRaw February 21, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Oh yum! This sounds delicious. I love brussells sprouts!!

janet February 22, 2010 at 7:51 AM

Thanks everyone:) And Julie Lynn, I'm so glad you enjoyed this!

Lori February 22, 2010 at 8:07 PM

This sounds great! I've never really thought of eating brussels sprouts raw, but I eat shredded cabbage so I'm not sure why brussels would be much different. I need to give it a try.

Venus March 4, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I really loved cooked brussles but havent tried them raw. Have saved this to my recipes folder with good intentions to try it.

Cucee Sprouts September 1, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I love Brussels Sprouts but I’ve never really had them “raw” until now. I love your recipe but I also want to share mine with you – my recipe is so simple but SOOO good!!! http://cuceesprouts.com/2010/09/shaved-brussels-sprouts-salad/