Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Two Potato Kale Soup

Snow gently falling all morning put me in the mood for soup. Potato kale soup is one of my favorites and my basic recipe for it is here
If you read my blog regularly, you know I have trouble sticking to a recipe, even when it is my own. I always seem to need to tinker with recipes and change things. One of my grandmothers always cooked this way, no recipes. It would make me so mad when I would ask her how to make something and she would say "a pinch of this" and "just enough of that", "until it is done". When I was young I needed an exact recipe to follow. Now I cook like her, but I  usually write down what I use so I can share my recipes and my girls can make the recipes they like.

The weather man is calling for up to 10 inches of snow here by tomorrow with strong winds, and we may have thunder snow tonight. This made me crave an even more nutrient dense soup. So I added a few of nature's superfoods to my recipe, and it is very satisfying. The sweet potatoes were the perfect touch,  this is now my favorite version of it. Good to snuggle in and stay warm with.

Two Potato Kale Soup

1 red onion, diced
1 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 c. chopped cabbage
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
4 c. vegetable broth
4 russet potatoes, with skins on if organic, diced
1 sweet potato, with skin on if organic, diced
2 c. packed, chopped  kale
sea salt and pepper to taste

In olive oil, sweat onion about 10 min., till tender. Add garlic, cabbage, bay leaf, vinegar, broth, and potatoes, and simmer 20 min. till potatoes are tender. Add kale and cook 2-3 min. till kale is bright green. Season with salt and pepper, serve.

Fayinagirl (means Free One) February 9, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Once again you've solved my "what's for dinner" dilemna. =) Off to start a pot of soup. Just seems perfect on this very very cold evening. It's snowing here too.

Vegan Epicurean February 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Soup sounds like a great idea here too! We are suppose to get another foot of snow on top of our almost three feet from the weekend. Spring can't come soon enough for me.

I love the sound of this. Anything with kale works for me.

Kateri February 9, 2010 at 8:48 PM

This looks so good. :) Lucky me I just bought sweet potatoes last time I went shopping and have everything else on the ingredient list. I think I will be making this in the next few days. By the way, we had your mushroom spinach soup for dinner tonight. (well a version of it--I cook like you and hardly ever follow recipes exactly). It is becoming a favorite around here.

Rose February 9, 2010 at 11:11 PM

I have a difficult time following recipes too!

This soup sounds perfect for a snowy day, warming and delicious. As a vinegar lover, the addition of the balsamic sounds great.

Stacy February 10, 2010 at 1:35 AM

What a great suop! And I agree, the addition of balsamic is fabulous!

Oraphan February 10, 2010 at 2:46 AM

Your soup looks so delicious and comforting! I love kale but I've never cooked it with potatoes before, it sounds like a great combo and so perfect for the cold weather. Thanks for sharing the recipes, they both are great:)

janet February 10, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Julie Lynn, glad I could be of help;)

Alicia, you have certainly had more than your share of snow this year and I don't envy you!!
We haven't had much snow this winter, but it has been really cold, so I too am ready for spring.

Kateri, I hope you enjoy this as much as we did, and I'm glad you liked the mushroom spinach soup. I think that changing the recipes is part of what makes cooking fun and creative!

Rose, I'm with you, I love vinegars. I also have blueberry basil vinegar and raspberry vinegar that I've canned. There are so many great tasting vinegars!

Stacy, thanks! Balsamic vinegar is one of my favorites.

Oraphan, kale and potatoes go really well together. I love soup in winter, and your soups always look so yummy!

Claudia February 11, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Grand soup - warming me as I read the ingredients. Definitely on the agenda for the week.

janet February 11, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Thanks Claudia,hope you enjoy it:)