Thursday, March 4, 2010

Collard Greens with Adzuki Beans

Potholes are everywhere here. Nearly every road you travel has them. They are so bad in some areas that sometimes it's a case of choosing to drive through the smaller ones in order to miss the huge ones. Yesterday I couldn't avoid hitting a large one and damaged my car, so it's in the shop being repaired today.  It was not a good day for that to happen- my hubby had to go out of town, and I had a lot of driving to do. I dropped my daughter and her friend off at one of the colleges for a seminar/competition in the morning. They needed a ride home in the afternoon. My other daughter didn't get my text message in time to catch the bus after school, so she also needed a ride home. And last night my daughter's orchestra had a concert. In between working all of this out, I needed to come up with a quick dinner. I had planned to shop yesterday, too. Obviously grocery shopping was out, so I had to work with what I had on hand.
A drawer full of collard greens and some cooked adzuki beans filled the bill perfectly.

The single most important food to include in a healthy diet is greens. They are the most nutrient dense food on the planet, and their health benefits are legendary. Most days I include a green smoothie and a salad in my diet. But occasionally I do like to cook greens, especially in winter. Yesterday was one of those days.

Collard Greens with Adzuki Beans

1 lb. collard greens, washed and chopped
1 red onion, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
3/4 c. salsa (I used my home canned salsa, use your favorite)
1 fresh tomato, chopped
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 c. water
1 tsp. sea salt
1 c. cooked adzuki beans
1/2 of a red pepper, cut into matchsticks

In large pot combine everything except adzuki beans and red pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30-40 min. till collards are tender. Serve with adzuki beans on top and garnish with red pepper sticks. Serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side dish.

mangocheeks March 4, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Sometimes the best dishes come from storecupboard ingredients or whats in the fridge. I like the addition of adzuki beans. I only tried them for the first time last year and really enjoyed the flavour.

I know what you mean about potholes, since the snow has melted away here so many more have appeared in the roads, that I am really disliking driving. Its a bit like dodgems. I hope you get your motor back soon, these things show how much we come to rely on our vehicles.

Rose March 4, 2010 at 2:38 PM

The food looks good; I'm trying to eat greens everyday too, so this recipe will come in handy.

I can sympathize with the pot-hole situation; it's the same around here...very discouraging...hope you get your wheels back soon.

Vegan Epicurean March 5, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Sorry to hear about your car. I hope you get it back soon. The repair places are all flooded with business around here.

Great dish from the pantry! Thanks for the reminder on adzuki beans. I don't seem to make them as often as I should in spite of having them in my pantry too.

Claudia March 5, 2010 at 10:29 AM

I just love to go into my fridge and announce: today I am using up all the produce. I don't know the adzuki beans - but I haven't tried so shall check that out. But don't beans just comfort you when stressed?

janet March 5, 2010 at 11:40 AM

mangocheeks, I agree, some of the best dishes come from getting creative with what's on hand. I never used to like cooked greens, but these were a real treat.

Rose, thanks. We go through lots of greens here, usually raw, so it was a nice change to cook some.

Alicia, adzuki beans are one of my favorites, and I love the way they look, so I keep them in a jar where I can see them, and it also reminds me to use them quite often.

Claudia, adzuki beans are very creamy and yummy. I think you'll love them if you try them. I agree, beans are real comfort food:)

Fayinagirl (means Free One) March 5, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Greens are fabulous. I really like the resourceful way you put together your dinner. Well done! (as usual) =)

janet March 5, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Julie Lynn, thanks, you always leave the nicest comments, you are very sweet!

Anonymous,  August 11, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I love the simplicity of your meals. Wonderful, healthy but all so quick and easy since I dont have a bunch of time with 4 little ones and teaching and everything else that comes with being a stay at home mom.....Love it! I am going to try the stuffed collards but try to do it raw.....We will see Be blessed..

Letha

Daniella,  March 30, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Mmmm, this was delish, thanks for sharing these recipes! I had this with baked pears! It compliments quite nicely, I think.

janet March 30, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Daniella,
I am so glad you enjoyed it! Pears sound yummy right about now;)