Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Crockpot Cabbage and Potatoes

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!   I haven't meant to neglect the blog, but this week has been crazy busy at my house. One of my girls became a licensed driver over the weekend, and the other one will become one within the next few weeks. These are scary times for mom!!  Between the road test, going to the insurance office, secretary of state, taking the car she will be driving in to the repair shop to have some things fixed so that it will be extremely safe for her to drive, and taking the other daughter driving so she will be ready for her road test, there hasn't been much spare time. And to top it off the weather has been amazing! When it is this nice out, I can't stay indoors, I must go out and play ;-) So I came up with this simple slow cooker recipe, which also is appropriate  for St. Paddy's day.

I wanted a light meal, so I served this with a large salad and it hit the spot. For a more substantial meal you could add some cooked beans.

Crockpot Cabbage and Potatoes

1/2 head cabbage, cut into chunks
2 potatoes, skins on, cut in large chunks
1 T. balsamic vinegar
2 T. olive oil
1 tsp. caraway seeds
sea salt and black pepper to taste

Place everything in slow cooker and cook on high for about 4 hours, or low about 6 hrs.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Claudia March 17, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Driving. Survived two of those. And many sleepless nights waiting for them to come home - and you cannot get away from it! A rite of passage. The cabbage and potatoes are delicious - perfect for the Day and comforting.

Fayinagirl (means Free One) March 17, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!!

Oh my, new drivers. I have empathy. =)

Love the dish. I totally forgot to plan something special for the day...so guess what we're making. Gotta run to the store and get some potatoes. =)

Enjoy the wonderful weather!

Dolly March 17, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Oh, wow, that picture got my mouth watering !
But I want a nice tender chunk of ham to go with it !

Congrats to my girl cousins on the licenses !
Yes, this time can be very stressful ! Just said a small prayer for protection on them, in the name of Jesus !

mangocheeks March 17, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Happy St Patrick's Day to you and your readers.

One of the benefits of having your daughter passing her driving test is it means less of you ferrying them about, you'll appreciate it in time. I know my Dad did.

I like the way you've cooked the pot'n'cabbage too, I just wanna stick a fork in.

janet March 17, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Claudia, I know it's something I can't avoid, but I'll sleep better when they have more experience ;0

Julie Lynn, thanks, hope you enjoy this wonderful weather too! I just got back from a nice long walk with my dogs:)

Dolly, thanks for they prayer, I do appreciate it!!

Mangocheeks, I am looking forward to not spending all my time as a chauffer, but it's certainly scary until they have more experience!
Thanks for the kind words about today's recipe!

Vegan Epicurean March 17, 2010 at 8:16 PM

What a nice low maintenance St. Paddy's day well! Great idea.

Good luck with the new drivers. Always a scary proposition.

Oraphan March 18, 2010 at 2:13 AM

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you too, Janet!
I'm so glad you've enjoyed the nice weather.

Your crockpot dish looks so delicious and I really love this short and easy recipe. I'm always looking for easy crockpot recipes, this is just perfect for me, thanks:)

Anonymous,  April 7, 2011 at 8:06 PM

do you not use any water or broth in this?

janet April 8, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Anonymous, no, I didn't use any water or broth, the moisture which the cabbage released along with the vinegar and oil made it moist enough. If you want it a little saucy go ahead and add some water or broth.
One of the nice things about using the crockpot is that it retains all of the moisure.

Anonymous,  March 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I know its been a few years since anyone posted, but what about adding vegetable stock to this crock pot meal? I'm doing Red potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic cloves and cabbage on top. Could i add stock to this? I'm afraid its going to be very dry. Thanks!

Janet March 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM

You could add a little broth if you like. The crock pot holds moisture in from the cabbage, so if you add too much broth it will be soupy.