Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Raw Chocolate Dip

I eat a lot of fruit for snacks and dessert. This week my sweet tooth kicked in and I wanted something more than just fruit. But I have a to do list as long as my arm, so it needed to be something quick and easy, using ingredients I had on hand.  I also have a love of raw desserts -my favorite is this raw blueberry pie,  and I recently made this raw walnut spice cake that Chris at irawvegan came up with. It was so good it was gone before I could photograph it!  So I came up with this ridiculously simple raw chocolate dip.

It too was mostly gone before I remembered to photograph it. I used raw honey for this. I have been reading a lot lately about just how processed agave is and I choose to avoid it now. It is neither natural nor healthy. It contains almost twice the amount of fructose that high fructose corn syrup does. That concentrated fructose has been shown to cause fatty liver disease, raise triglycerides, and increase insulin resistance among other problems. Here are a couple of links I found interesting- a piece in the Huffington Post by Dr. Jonny Bowden, and a Study written up in the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

So what sweetener is best? Really, using none is the best choice. And we all know this. But many of us are not willing to give up all sweeteners. So I will continue to use raw organic honey, it has not undergone any processing and has been used since biblical times. I just keep its use very limited.

The dip I made went well with strawberries, and would be good with any fruit. It made enough to serve 4 sweet tooths. (Sweet teeth?)  It doesn't harden, so it can't be used to coat chocolate covered strawberries. It is meant to be used as a soft dip.

Raw Chocolate Dip

1 T. raw cocoa
3 T. raw honey
1 -2 T. water

Combine cocoa and honey and 1 T. of water, if too thick add a bit more water. Serve with fruit and enjoy!

Rose March 24, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Wow, that raw blueberry pie that you linked to from a previous post just has be amazing...must give it a try.

The chocolate dip is a great idea too...so quick and simple. Thanks for the idea.

Healthy and Homemade March 24, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Great idea! I know a lot of vegans wont eat honey for obvious reasons, and some people swear by agave but I've always been a fan of honey. It's natural, it's been around for well, forever basically and it's YUM! I want to try making this =)

janet March 24, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Rose, thanks for your nice comment. I hope you try the pie sometime, it's a favorite here at family get togethers.

VivaciousVegan March 24, 2010 at 2:08 PM

You are making my raw life easier and easier!!!!
Loving the chocolate dip!

janet March 24, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Healthy and Homemade, thanks so much for your comment! I do realize vegans don't eat honey, and I certainly do not want to offend anyone, but I just can't get behind agave anymore. So I will stick to small amounts of honey. I hope you enjoy this, as we did. It's so quick and simple and I've always believed that simple is best.

janet March 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM

VivaciousVegan, thanks so much!!

Vegan Epicurean March 24, 2010 at 5:39 PM

That is a quick recipe. I agree with you on the agave. Doesn't it seem like everyday or so we are adding something else to the list of things to be avoided?

janet March 24, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Alicia, it sure does seem that way. I really get the whole "ignorance is bliss" thing now.

Vegan Epicurean March 24, 2010 at 5:58 PM

I feel your pain on that one. If I keep eliminating things from our diet I am afraid we won't be left with anything to eat. ;-)

janet March 24, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Alicia, I understand that, the list of safe, healthy things gets smaller by the day. I am rebellious by nature, and I think it's why I fight giving some of those things up. But then the evidence becomes overwhelming and the guilt sets in and eventually I make more changes.

Stacy March 26, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Yummy! I love that this is sweetened with honey. I am so excited that strawberries are coming back into season!

janet March 26, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Stacy, me too, and I can't wait till our farmers' market opens again!

Kelli July 9, 2010 at 9:19 PM

WOW. I was just looking up a recipe for chocolate sauce with Agave and look what I found! The funny thing is I've always been a fan of raw honey, and I thought i would try something different... I bought my first jar of agave syrup tonight and I will now throw it away! What a crazy universal intervention!

janet July 10, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Kelli, that is funny! You really are better off with raw honey:P