Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Vegetable Tetrazzini

I am going to get this posted while my computer likes me. It has been very finicky lately, and nothing I do seems to make it work any better. I've deleted old files and unused programs, run and re-run antivirus softwear, defragmented, etc., etc., etc., but it still runs incredibly slow and freezes up quite often. It's an older computer, so I do not want to invest any money in it, and a new one just isn't in the budget at this point. It was finally working fairly well this morning, and I was nearly ready to post, then the power went out and I lost my work. So, if my posting continues to remain sporadic, as well as my reading and commenting,  you'll know why.

Today's recipe is for a simple veggie tetrazzini. If you are vegan, just leave off the parmesan cheese that I sprinkled on before baking.

Vegetable Tetrazzini

2 3/4 c. vegetable broth, divided
24 oz. whole grain noodles
1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp. sage
1/4 tsp. black pepper
 2 T. freshly grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Simmer veggies in 1 3/4 c. of the vegetable broth about 15 min., till tender. Meanwhile cook and drain noodles. Add seasonings to veggies. Stir cornstarch into remaining 1 c. of vegetable broth, add to veggies and cook and stir until sauce begins to thicken. Stir in cooked noodles. Place in 9x13 pan, sprinkle with fresh parmesan and bake 10 min. till cheese is melted. Makes 8 servings.

Claudia April 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I do love pasta with fresh vegetables - more and more as the weather warms. This is a beauty!

janet April 21, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Claudia, thanks, we love it too! I am so excited that soon we'll have fresh veggies from the farmers' market.

Vegan Epicurean April 21, 2010 at 2:14 PM

I have not thought of Tetrazzini in ages. Great idea to make a veggie version!

Sorry to hear about you computer problems. Those are the worst.

VivaciousVegan April 21, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Oh my goodness girl, I am so making this tomorrow!!!! I love tetrazzini! I am making mexican tonight since my hubby is home, but this has my name all over it!!! Great post!

janet April 21, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Alicia, I hadn't thought of it in ages either, but then my hubby asked for it. My computer problems would end if I had a hammer near my desk...

VivaciousVegan, I hope you enjoy it, we certainly did, it disappeared quickly. Now mexican sounds good:)

blessedmama April 21, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Janet, I can so relate to the computer issues. Mine frequently decides that it can't load the internet. My husband, who works as a computer guy, always says, "Reboot it." That's his favorite phrase with me. Lately, he's been taking to, "Dump the trash." But, the trash has all kinds of things that I didn't put in it, namely my photos! So, I sympathize.

Now, on with the food. Looks good. We could always use nutritional yeast flakes or a parm substitute, if we really wanted and were vegan, I think. Thanks for the post.

Rose April 21, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I've never eaten tetrazini before; this sounds like a great way to try it; sounds wonderfully tasty.

Brigid April 22, 2010 at 9:20 AM

This sounds delicious! I may try this with nutritional yeast instead of parmesan.