Monday, May 17, 2010

Cabbage Potato Pie

Happy Monday everyone!  I want to get this posted early, since I have tons to do today. This is a simple, but filling meal. It was fun to make and it has a nice presentation. I had a green cabbage, a red cabbage, and some potatoes to use up, and I was inspired by the quiche I bought at my son's school last week. I wanted to make something pie-ish, but vegan. This is one of the meals I came up with. I also made a variation of this which was delicious, and I will post it later this week.

Cabbage Potato Pie

5 large potatoes, diced and boiled about 15 min. till tender
6 green cabbage leaves
1 red onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 head red cabbage, shredded
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. caraway seeds

Preheat oven to 350. Par-boil cabbage leaves in boiling water 4 min., drain, reserving 1/2 c. cooking water. In a pie plate, arrange leaves in a rosette, with ribs in center of plate, and the leaves hanging over the edge of the dish, overlapping the leaves. Saute onion, garlic and shredded cabbage in some of the reserved water 5-6 min. till tender, stir in seasonings. Stir cooked veggies into potatoes, place on top of cabbage. Fold cabbage leaves over the filling. Cover with foil and bake 40 min. Enjoy!

Here's a photo showing how to arrange the leaves-

Then add the potato filling and fold the leaves over it.-

Voila! Then cover and bake.

Rose May 17, 2010 at 1:31 PM

This looks so good. Cabbage and potato go so well together. And it is a pretty presentation indeed. I love that when you cut into the pie, you get the color surprise of the red cabbage. Yum! My husband will love this too. Thanks for the recipe.

Fayinagirl (means Free One) May 17, 2010 at 2:02 PM

That looks really yummy. Reminds me of knishes that I had all the time growing up (only without the dough). Bet that would hit the spot when I'm craving some of that old-time flavor. =)

janet May 17, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Rose, your welcome. I love colorful food, so using red cabbage made it fun for me:)

JulieLynn, I have never had a knish, but now that you mention it, it does sound kinda similar.

Claudia May 18, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I am going to try this over the weekend - I love the presentation and the "surprise" inside. the combination of potatoes and cabbage cannot be beat!

janet May 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Claudia, I hope you enjoy it. It was fun cutting it open to see the surprise inside:)

VivaciousVegan May 18, 2010 at 6:20 PM

This looks delicious!!
I love the color of the red cabbage, it is like a colcannon pie!!!

Ana May 19, 2010 at 12:59 AM

This looks SOOOOO yummy! I'm excited to try it.
Ana
www.veganana1.blogspot.com

janet May 19, 2010 at 7:08 AM

Brandi, thanks. I'll have to look up colcannon pie, I've never heard of it.

Jolene, thanks for the comment. It was tasty:)

Ana, I hope you do try it, it was simple and yummy. Thanks for commenting.

Dolly May 19, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I don't know how it tasted, but I think that it is INSPIRED ! How beautiful ! You definitely have a gift in the kitchen.....hmmmmmm....bet hubby wishes I had inherited that trait too !

janet May 21, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Dolly, thanks, you are very sweet!

Ana May 23, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I made this for dinner last night. It was perfect! (I also linked your blog and the recipe on my own blog. I hope that is okay!)

janet May 23, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Ana, that is fine that you linked me, thanks! I am so glad you enjoyed this:)

VivaciousVegan May 23, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I have left you a present at my blog! Please come take a look!

Anonymous,  January 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM

This looks really good. I think when I make it I will add a little homeade sauerkraut. Thanks for the recipe.

D

Janet January 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Anonymous, the homemade sauerkraut sounds like a great addition, thanks for the idea!