Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Garden Update

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend!  There has not been much cooking going on here, so no new recipes to post right now. We had a power outage of unknown origin Thursday night, followed by a ridiculously hot weekend. This meant grilled veggies and tempeh,

and lots of salads and cold fruit :)
 The heat did not prevent me from getting the rest of my gardening done, so I'll share some photos.
 The top photo shows the lovely fuschia that hangs on my porch.  Next we have the greens I'm growing in a small planter on my porch. The floating row cover worked extremely well. No problem with birds or insects getting my greens.

We used some of them in our salad, yummy!  The greens below are in my square foot garden in the yard. They are coming along nicely. We had three really hard frosts after I planted this, and the floating row cover did a great job protecting them. This was the first year I used the cover and it's amazing, I'll be using this every year now. Today I need to thin out the greens a bit more. Some of the seed I used was two years old, so I overplanted to make sure I got at least some to grow, and then it all came up :)

I put my trellis together and set up my earthboxes. They contain tomatoes and red peppers that I started from  the seed I saved  last year.   The pots contain red basil, lemon balm, bush cucumbers, jalapeno peppers and some marigolds.

Here is how the trellis looked midway through last summer. Last year was not a good one for tomatoes, I'm hoping this summer will be better.

And finally a photo of my delicious spearmint.

I'm going to make some iced green tea and add this to it today, along with some fresh lemon juice.

Vegan Epicurean June 1, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Nice pics of your garden. Thanks for sharing!

Fayinagirl (means Free One) June 1, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Your gardens looks lovely. How wonderful! I'm all for grilled veggies too. Yummy. =)

janet June 1, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Alicia, thanks. Even when it's hot outside I love to work with the garden and plants:)

JulieLynn, thanks. When the power is out, the grill comes in handy!

Claudia June 1, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Now that's a garden! I cannot get tomato plants from seed - they just are always too spindly - drives me nuts. I have 30 basil plants and no tomato plants (well, I bought some at the gardening center). The platter of grilled vegetables is so enticing. Oh how I love my plants grilled!

mangocheeks June 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Your veg garden is looking fantastic. I know the cover over the tender salad leaves doesn't look so pretty to the eyes, but they are so handy against the changeable weather.

In the past I too have used seeds past their expiry date with great success too, so sometimes its good to ignore the date and give them a go.

I am not a fan of tempeh, but the way you have presented it on the plate looks so appealing.

janet June 1, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Claudia, I wish I had room for 30 basil plants!!I adore basil.

mangocheeks, I agree, the cover is not attractive, but it works so well that I don't care;) I was surprised how well the old seeds did, although I do store my seeds in the fridge, so maybe that helps keep them viable.

Dolly June 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Great garden you have going already !
And that FUSCHIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beyond gorgeous !

Rose June 1, 2010 at 10:56 PM

That tempeh and veg looks absolutely scrumptious.

Your garden is really coming on...everything is thriving! Your tomatoes and basil are going to town...mine are barely more than a "twinkle in their mother's eye"...but seriously...here's to happy gardening, happy eating, and a great growing season. Great job!

janet June 2, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Dolly, thanks, I have had a fuschia on my porch nearly every year for 25 years! I just love them.

Rose, thanks, even my teen daughters love grilled tempeh:) I got finished in the garden just in time- it's pouring down rain now, so everything will get a good boost.

Velva June 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM

This was awesome!!! I loved the grilled vegetables, the fresh new garden, photos of last year's garden. Beautiful.

The photo of the mint reminded me that I have mint taking over the back area of my yard...I love it. It's perfect for salads and mojitos.

Thanks for sharing.

janet June 4, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Velva, thanks so much! One of the things I love about mint is that it will take over an area where I can't get anything else to grow. It doesn't hurt that it's so tasty too ;-)

Emily June 5, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Beautiful flowers! And nice to meet a fellow vegetarian :)

janet June 6, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Emily, thanks! It's always to nice to meet another vegetarian:)