Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hungarian Green Bean Soup

Hungarian food has always been my favorite. There's just something about paprika and caraway seeds that I can't get enough of. Traditionally this would contain sour cream, but my version is vegan and uses raw cashew cream as a replacement.

This soup is thick and hearty, almost a stew. While not particularly photogenic, it is delicious and filling. If you soak the cashews overnight, it comes together in about half an hour - 5 minutes to chop the veggies and 20 minutes to cook.

Hungarian Green Bean Soup

1 lb. fresh green beans, ends removed and cut in 2" pieces
4 organic potatoes, skins on, diced
4 c. vegetable broth
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 T. apple cider vinegar
2 T. sweet Hungarian paprika
1 tsp. caraway seeds
1 tsp. sea salt

Place all ingredients in large pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 min. Stir in cashew cream and serve.

Cashew cream
1/4 c. raw cashews, soaked and drained
1 1/2 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
pinch sea salt
water as needed to cover cashews

Place everything in food processor or blender and puree till smooth and creamy.

Fayinagirl (means Free One) June 9, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Janet, that soup sounds so good and it's chilly here today (so I want some) =)

janet June 9, 2010 at 4:49 PM

JulieLynn, thanks, it's been cool and rainy here, so I wanted some comforting soup!

Vegan Epicurean June 9, 2010 at 5:02 PM

The soup sounds very comforting. Perfect for our cold rainy day. Too bad we are going out tonight or this might have been dinner. ;-)

Ali

janet June 9, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Alicia, thanks! Hope you have a nice time tonight:)

Claudia June 10, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Oh that does look good - especially when the beans are as fresh as they are now.I do have a love of paprika and caraway seeds also.

5 Star Foodie June 10, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Yummy soup! It sounds wonderful with paprika and caraway seeds!

janet June 10, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Claudia, fresh beans are wonderful aren't they!

5StarFoodie, thanks. I really love caraway and paprika:)

mangocheeks June 11, 2010 at 10:40 AM

This is really appealing to me. I don't know if its the paprika or the thought that I can use up some of those frozen green beans in my freezer from last year pickings at the allotment. Whatever it is, it really does look flavoursome.

She woke up FAT June 11, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Our fav is Hungarian also. It's the paprika and cream. I use tofu sour cream and although it doesn't have as much flavor we like it. This sounds yummy.

Eileen June 13, 2010 at 10:50 PM

janet--this is eileen from ladybug lovelies--your name was picked for my little mystery giveaway. i made a comment on your other blog, sent an email from another account so maybe you didn't recognize that, and now i'm leaving a message here. please contact me asap. by the way...your soup looks delicious--will send your blog url to my daughter and her friend for sure!

janet June 14, 2010 at 8:15 AM

mangocheeks, it's great that you still have green beans in your freezer from last year's crop:) You must have had a good haul. Ours were used up a few months ago.

She woke up FAT, thanks so much for your comment. I agree, Hungarian food is just so yummy!

Eileen, thanks! I was offline for a few days, very busy working on my twin daughters' graduation party, so I didn't see your email or comments. I emailed you this morning, I am so excited I won, Thanks!!

blessedmama June 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Hungarian food? Wow, I wouldn't even know where to find recipes for that. And, I love to try new ethnic foods. Do you have Hungarian heritage? By the way, this looks easy, yummy, and totally kid-friendly! I could throw it together with what I already have in my home. Now, that's what I call a perfect recipe!

janet June 15, 2010 at 7:25 AM

blessedmama, thanks. No,I am not Hungarian, but I used to work next to a Hungarian restaurant,(many of their recipes came from the grandma who came here from Hungary) and it quickly became my favorite type of food. I have British/European ancestry.

I so agree, when you can quickly throw something tasty together from what you have in your pantry, it's perfect:)