Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Salad Days

I hope you are all having a good week. My dad has been in the hospital, so it's been a busy one for me and I have had very little time to cook.

Luckily, my garden has been producing well, and my greens and pea pods are ready for picking. It's been wonderful to step outside my door and pick most of a meal!

I added some heirloom tomatoes that I picked up at the farmers' market, an avocado, and some raw broccoli for a simple fresh meal. I didn't need any salad dressing since the tomatoes were so juicy. I  added a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, which I do occasionally for the b vitamins.

I use very little salt, and when I do it is sea salt which is not iodized, so I occasionally use dulse granules to ensure my intake of iodine. So I sprinkled dulse on this salad as well. It was so fresh and delicious!

For dessert I had fresh strawberries, also from the farmers' market. I have eaten mostly raw for the last few days simply because of time restraints, but it is amazing how much more energy I have had. I always feel better when I have a high amount of raw food in my diet, and this time of year it's so easy to eat this way!

Vegan Epicurean June 22, 2010 at 9:51 PM

I hope your dad is improving.

This looks like dinner at our house. I love dulse and nutritional yeast on salad too. Great minds..... ;-)

talk to you later,
Ali

janet June 22, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Ali, thanks. My dad is doing o.k., but it will be a few more days before he can come home. Good thing I love salad and veggies, I've been eating plenty of them lately!

Claudia June 23, 2010 at 12:04 AM

I also do not add salad dressing when there is enough juice from the vegetables. Love to you and your Dad and hope things go well!

janet June 23, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Claudia, thanks so much! A good juicy tomato or orange in my salad is all I need;)

mangocheeks June 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I agree it is such a wonderful feeling to pick pretty much your whole meal from you back garden.

Fayinagirl (means Free One) June 23, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I'm so sorry that your dad is in the hospital. {{{hugs}}}

Glad you have lots of fresh produce around. Salad days are wonderful.

Rose June 23, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I tried posting this yesterday, but I guess it didn't go through. The salad looks so good and satifying and that is some beautiful booty from your garden.

Hope your Dad gets better soon.

janet June 23, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Thanks for all the well wishes, I appreciate them!!

Kateri June 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Oh, yum! There is nothing like salad greens picked fresh from the garden (well except for maybe other veggies picked fresh...)

Healthy and Homemade June 25, 2010 at 2:01 AM

Salad looks gorgeous, so sorry to hear about your dad hope all is well otherwise!!