Friday, October 16, 2009

Vegan Pumpkin Muffins

Squash is one of the best things about fall. It is so versatile, good in everything from soup to muffins. I made these muffins using pureed butternut squash, but you can use pumpkin also. And if you don't have fresh, or some puree in your freezer, you can substitute canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling).

Muffins are one of the easiest things to make vegan. Fruit or vegetable purees like pumpkin, applesauce and mashed bananas easily replace unhealthy ingredients like trans-fat filled margarine or shortening.

Vegan Pumpkin Muffins

1 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 c. oat bran
1/8 c. ground flaxseed
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. butternut or pumpkin puree
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 T. coconut oil
1/2 c. agave nectar
1/4 c. chopped dates

Preheat oven to 350. Combine flour, oat bran, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, . Add pumpkin, vanilla, agave, coconut oil and stir till just combined. Stir in dates. Spoon into buttered and floured cupcake pan. If desired, sprinkle with this optional crumb topping:

Topping:
1/2 T. wheat germ
1/2 T. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
Mix and sprinkle over muffins.

Bake 15-20 min. till toothpick inserted in middle of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Makes 11.

If you enjoy the occasional  muffin, you may also like my recipes for vegan lemon muffins, and vegan blueberry banana muffins.  There are also my strawberry surprise muffins which could be easily veganized if you wish.

Here are some other recipes using pureed squash, including bread , cookies, and pancakes.

Head on over to Stop and Smell the Chocolates for the Fall Fruit Festival where this recipe is linked. There are tons of recipes for pumpkins, apples, pears, cranberries and chocolate as well as some giveaways.

Claudia October 16, 2009 at 11:55 AM

You always make me hungry. I love these - with the fall air and the pumpkins spices everywhere - this would be grand to have baking in my kitchen.

janet October 16, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Thanks Claudia, you are very kind!

the traditional gourmand October 17, 2009 at 2:44 AM

These look delicious! Can't wait to try!

janet October 17, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Hi Venus Doom, I have no idea what happened, I didn't see it.

Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates October 17, 2009 at 8:50 PM

These sound wonderful! So glad you shared the recipe!

Venus Doom October 18, 2009 at 2:53 AM

Lol, how bizarre. It was here for a while. Oh well.
I asked how you puree the squash. Do you have to boil it first or something? Might seem an obvious question but Ive never used squash in a sweet dish before and would like to try it.
Thanks

HealthyRainbow.net October 18, 2009 at 5:30 AM

I want somee !!! :) that looks yummyyyy

I don't really bake coz I'll be the only one eating whatever Vegan stuff I "experimented" in the kitchen and most of the time, they turn out pretty unsuccesfully haha :)

janet October 18, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Venus Doom, I usually cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, place cut side down on an oiled baking sheet and bake at 375 for about 30 min. till it's tender when you poke it with a fork and then puree it in the food processor. I usually cook 2 or 3 at a time and freeze the puree in 1 or 2 cup portions to use in soup, muffins,pancakes, etc. later. It freezes well for 6-9 months. Baking seems to best preserve the flavor of the squash.

You can also boil it- cut in half, scoop out seeds, peel and cut into chunks. Bring to a boil and cook till tender, then puree. I don't like to peel squash before cooking-they have a tough skin and clumsy leftie that I am, I'd probably cut off a finger doing it. Plus I think alot of vitamins are lost in the cooking water.

You can also cook it in the microwave, but I've never done it so can't give directions for it.

Venus Doom October 18, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Ahh thanks. Baking makes more sense. I bake pumpkins before I use them in varios other dishes. I'll try that then. Thanks :)

Kateri October 18, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Janet, thanks for stopping by my blog. I will be coming back to yours. You have some great recipes! I just made pureed and froze three big butternut squash.

VeganGuy October 20, 2009 at 8:17 AM

These are probably really delicious! can't wait to try the recipe...thanks!

mangocheeks November 1, 2009 at 6:50 AM

Wow, I didn't realise that you could freeze pumpkin puree as per advice to VenusDoom. Thanks for sharing this tip Janet.

I am looking forward to making these muffins with my home grown 'golden apple' squash.

Currerbell February 23, 2011 at 8:04 AM

I've made these muffins several times already and really, really love this recipe. I'm getting ready to go make it with some sweet potatoes I cooked and that's going to be delicious! I have a 3 year old and an 18 mo. old so this is such a great way of getting some vitamins and not a huge amount of sugar into their little squirmy, picky bodies. :)

janet February 23, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Currerbell, I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe. I like your idea of using sweet potatoes too!